Outcomes of Democracy notes by Vibha Maam
How do we assess Democracy’s Outcomes?
Democracy is the best form of government than that of other alternatives because it promotes equality among citizens, quality of decision making, dignity of the individual, and provides a method to resolve conflicts, also allows room to correct mistakes.
Democracy seems good in principle but not good in actuality. Over 100 countries of the world today claim and practice some kind of democratic politics as they have formal constitutions, they hold elections, they have parties and they guarantee rights of citizens.
Democracy is only to create conditions for achieving something, the citizens have to take advantage of those conditions and achieve those goals.
Outcomes of Democracy
- Accountable, responsive and legitimate government
- In democracy, people have the right to choose their representative and also control over them.
- Democracy produces a government which is accountable to the citizens and responsive to the needs and expectations of the citizens.
- Democracy is based on the idea of deliberation, discussion and negotiation. so some delay is bound to take place.
- It is more acceptable and effective because it follows all procedures before arriving at any decision.
- Democratic government is a responsive government because it follows practices and institutions like regular free and fair elections, open public debates on major policies and citizens’ right to information about the government functioning.
- Democratic government is a legitimate government. It may be slow, less efficient, not always very responsive or clean but a democratic government is people’s own government.
- People wish to be ruled by representatives who were elected by them. They also believe that democracy is suitable for their country.
Economic growth and development
- Economic development depends on several factors like countries population size, global situation, corporation from the other countries, economic priorities adopted by the country etc.
- The difference in the rate of economic development between less developed countries with dictatorship and democracy is negligible.
- When we find a significant difference in the rate of economic growth between countries under dictatorship and democracy, it is better to prefer democracy as it has several other positive outcomes.
i) Reduction of inequality and poverty
- Democracy is based on political and social equality. all individuals have equal rights and value in electing representatives, but there are growing economic inequalities.
- A small number of ultra- rich enjoy lead disproportionate share of wealth and income. Whereas at the bottom of the society have very little to depend upon, their income has been declined. Sometimes they find it difficult to make their basic needs.
- In actual life democracy does not appear to be very successful in reducing economic inequality.
- The poor constitute a large proportion of our voters and no party will like to lose their votes.yet they are not eager to address the question of poverty.
- People in several poor countries are now dependent on the rich countries even for food supplies.
ii) Accommodation of social diversity
- No society can fully and permanently resolve conflicts among different groups but we can learn to respect these differences and evolve mechanisms to negotiate the differences .
- In democracy ,the majority always need to work with the minority so that the government functions to represent the general view.
- Opinions of the majority and minority are not permanent.
- Democracy remains democracy only when then every citizen has a chance to rule as the majority.
iii) Dignity and freedom of the citizens
- Democracy is much superior in promoting dignity and freedom of the individual.
- The passion for respect and freedom are the basis of democracy.
- Every individual wants to receive respect from fellow beings but often conflict arises among individuals.
- In the case of the dignity of women, most societies across the world are male dominated societies. Long struggles by women are able to win some respect and dignity in society today.
- Democracy in India has strengthened the claims of the disadvantaged and discriminated caste for equal status, equal treatment and equal opportunities.
Expectations from democracy also functions as criteria for judging any democratic country. As people get some benefits from democracy, they ask for more and want to make democracy better.
Democracy transforms people from the status of a subject into that of a citizen. today most individuals believe that their vote makes a change in the government and their lives.
Don’t forget to comment in the comment section below to appreciate and motivate our author by sharing this notes with your friends you can also Contact us for any query or if you are interested in writing with us.
Use Canva for amazing images.
For sponsor any article or your article you can mail us with your logo ready and details.